25 Feb Efficient Workplace Communication and Why It Matters ?
With increasing job opportunities and competition in the workplace, it becomes imperative to be ahead of ones game and be strive in communication.
Here are a few tips to bring you forefront:
- It’s imperative to rehearse what you want to say and how you want to say it. Different mediums of communication need to be employed while relaying a message across.
- It is good to understand that certain social or cultural backgrounds may have certain body gestures that are termed as insensitive or aggressive. What is friendly in an American culture may be perceived rude in an Asian culture – good to know one’s local identity while speaking in a room full.
- Adopting various methods of communication like a presentation, video or graphic format can make a serious matter convincing to pull off easily. Using easy words and simple means of communicating an idea is effective.
- Promoting a conducive atmosphere during a conversation, transparency and no intimidation for expressing an idea.
- Handle conflicts with diplomacy.
- Feed-back and forward to clarify your insight
- Make it objective and not personal.
- There are 6 ways where a communication can go wrong ; between what you say , what you think you say and what you actually say , between what they hear, what they actually understand and how they really interpret the message … you count it.
- Most important – avoid workspace personal irrelevant engagement in conversations that can be controversial in nature. It is good to have an opinion , but it is best to also know when to refrain from making comments.
- Last but not the least – a blooming workspace communication also enhances when you know how to strike that balance between being friendly yet professional.
Quoting Bernard Shaw, “The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”